In Praise and Celebration of SISTERS – A HELEN EXLEY GIFTBOOK (1998)

In Praise and Celebration of SISTERS – A HELEN EXLEY GIFTBOOK (1998)

Lillian Gish and Dorothy Gish visiting Universal Studios in July 1943

LILIAN GISH ON HER SISTER DOROTHY


She is laughter, even on the cloudy days of life; nothing bothers her or saddens her or
concerns her lastingly. Trouble gives only an evanescent shadow to her eyes
and is banished with a shrug of a shoulder…
She is the side of me that God left out. Her funny stories, her delight in sitting on
mens hats, her ability to interest herself in a hundred and one people… her talent for
quick and warm friendships, her philosophy of silver linings….
When Dorothy goes in swimming, she splashes the ocean into a beautifully gala
muss; I just go in swimming. When she dances, there is no tomorrow; when I dance,
the trombone always stubbornly reminds me of a director in a bad mood…
The world to her is a big picnic with a great merry-go-round and lots
of popcorn and wonderful balloons.

DOROTHY GISH ON HER SISTER LILLIAN


How I envy her the singleness of purpose, the indefatigability the unabating
seriousness which have taken her straight to the heights she has reached
and will carry her on and on!
She is blessed with a constitution that can respond to any demand. Long after I
am ready to be hauled off on a shutter, she, apparently so frail, can go on tirelessly
unruffled, cool and calm…. What a priceless combination for an artist! Unswerving
ambition, deep seriousness of purpose, and not a nerve in her body!
She is to me a never-ending source of astonishment and admiration. And I never
cease to wonder at my luck in having for my sister the woman who possesses all the
qualities of greatness.

Back to Lillian Gish Home page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lillian Gish and Jeanne Moreau – Vanity Fair 1983

D.W. Griffith – An American Life (By Richard Schickel – 1984)

ART DECO FASHION – by Suzanne Lussier (2003)